Drivers of charter buses typically enjoy the reward points of their profession. You can be one of them, and you will be able to visit many interesting places as well as expand your social skills by making new friends. In this article, we will point out the important things you need to be able to get a shot at being a driver for a bus company.
What are the vital requirements?
It is rare for each state and company to have the same requirements. It will usually differ by each state and company that you apply to. For your benefit though, we will list down the requirements that are pretty much universal for all states and bus lines. Here are the following:
· A clean and error-less driving record is essential
· A negative drug screening result
· A CDL, or Commercial Driver’s License, which will be achieved when you attain the two above mentioned requirements
· At the very least be 18 years old; if driving route needs to cross state lines, applicants must be at least 21 years old
· A diploma stating that you graduated high school may be needed
· Both eyes must have a field vision of 70 degrees, and corrected or uncorrected eye visions of 20/40 are basic requirements. Passing the hearing test may also be required.
· Applicants need to pass the driver physical examination as performed by your country’s Department of Transportation. Physical exam includes strength and endurance tests that will be a gauge whether applicant is able to carry and unload packages.
· Reading, writing and speaking English skills is typically required. Some companies might even require the ability to have foreign language skills, but it all depends on the location of the driving and the nationality of the passengers.
These are just some of the basic requirements. For you to be able to know all of the requirements, it is helpful to search and find the advertisements posted by charter companies. Then you gauge yourself if you are qualified for the job vacancy.
Are there any training and licensing to be done?
Most companies these days hire charter bus drivers that have at least a couple of years’ bus driving experience in their belts. Though some who don’t have the experience may be hired, they can gain experience in their companies by having to complete their training while working as a bus driver. New drivers will be able to attain a CDL. Most of the big time companies, though may need a driver with a CDL that has passenger endorsements. Some companies may also require added requirements and endorsements.
One thing is for sure in having these requirements. You get to have a higher chance of being picked for the job, and you then are able to do a rewarding job.