When it comes to your kids, school bus companies and their drivers make child safety a priority. However, there are things you can do to make trips safer for your kids, especially when entering or exiting the bus.
Safety tips when riding a school bus include:
- Arriving early – Be at the stop at least five minutes before the bus is scheduled to arrive. Drivers aren’t permitted to wait for latecomers, so show up on time to avoid any unnecessary stress.
- Staying away from the danger zone – The danger zone is defined as any area that is close enough to touch the bus. At this distance, the driver can’t see your kids. Stay at least three metres away from the curb while waiting for the bus to stop. The distance should be the same when exiting the bus.
- Looking three times – When you teach your kids to look both ways before crossing the street, express the importance of looking left, then right, then left again. This ensures that the street is empty before they attempt to cross.
- Always crossing in front – Tell your kids that it’s safest to cross the street in front of a bus, as opposed to behind it. That way, the driver will be able to see them when they cross.
- Removing anything loose – Backpacks, jackets, and sweatshirts sometimes have drawstrings or cords that can get tangled in doors or handrails. Remove anything dangling on your child that can get caught, and tell them to be mindful of anything that can get tangled.
- Avoiding bending over – The bus driver can’t see very far from where they are seated. Tell your child to avoid bending over or picking anything up, as the driver won’t be able to see them. If they must pick something up, let them know that they should inform the driver first, then wait until the bus is stationary.
- Make eye contact with the bus driver – If your child has to cross the street, it’s important to make eye contact with the bus driver first. This gives the driver time to stop traffic and allow children to cross the street safely. Teach your kids to wait for the driver’s acknowledgment before crossing.
School buses are safe transportation for your kids, but accidents can happen. Teaching your kids basic safety tips can go a long way towards keeping them secure while travelling to and from school.
For safe, reliable school bus services in Toronto and the GTA, call Parkinson Coach Lines. We also provide a variety of charter bus services including airport transport, bus tours, and wedding bus rentals. Contact us at (905) 451-4776 today.